- A chicken inside a exaggeratedly small cage
- Chicken claws hanging from ropes [ropes will resemble a nooses]
- An image of a free range chicken in a free range environment next an image of chickens trapped in battery cages placed side by side
- An image of a chicken standing in front of a white background. The shadow of the chicken however will resemble a chicken in a cage
- An image of a cracked egg with red yolk inside it [red representing blood and symbolizing murder]
- Hundreds of multiplied chicken images crowding up the foreground of a poster to symbolise the mass amount of chickens affected by battery caging and what it is like to be inside a battery caging factory.
The film I am going to use for part 1 of my assignment is Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo and Juliet.
Out of the three films I was considering for the assignment this was the one that I was most interested in and had the most ideas for.
Now that I have a film to focus on I can start to develop my ideas.
Ideas for Romeo and Juliet so far:
- An image of a male and female separated by a large fish tank.
- An image of a male dressed in a suit of armor and a female dressed as an angel embracing.
- An image of a human heart along with some guns
- An image of the letters R and J inside a love heart shape tattooed onto a young males arm.
- An image of a gun, a shattered poison glass bottle and spilt liquid that has dripped into a love heart shape
- Star consolations that shape into images of hearts, poison bottles, guns
- Guns placed in a love heart shape
Over the past two days I have been thinking about some issues in today’s society that might be worthy to focusing on for the second part the assignment.
One topic I would like to try communicating through an image is the issue of battery chicken farming in New Zealand.
Factory farming also affects pigs in New Zealand. Though I think I will focus solely on chickens. If I were to involve more animals my image could be at risk of being overwhelming.
I have found a few websites with good information on factory farming. Here are a few facts that I found on battery farming and chickens:
• 90 million chickens are killed annually for their meat.
• Up to 40,000 chickens are confined together inside large windowless sheds at a stocking density of 19 birds per square metre.
• Nearly 3.5 million chickens die annually from of health problems before six weeks of age.
• 38 per cent of New Zealand’s chickens experience difficulties walking.
• broiler chickens are reared to their slaughter weight of around 1.8 to 3 kg within just 6 weeks of being hatched (chickens are normally fully grown by 5-6 months). By selective breeding, the length of time broiler chicks take to grow to 2 kg has been halved in the last 30 years.
• Over the last 20 years, annual chicken consumption has increased from 14kg (1986) to an average 35kg of chicken meat per person per year.
Factory/battery farming websites linked bellow:
As a class we drew up a chart which is meant to help us keep on track with our assignment work. Photo credit to Lisa Moriarty. http://lisamoriarty.wordpress.com/
Ballet shoes embody Billy’s passions and the main story of the film.
Boxing gloves represent the stereotypical idea of a young boy. The stereotype that Billy is expected to follow.
Boys and men of different ages could symbolise the growth and development of Billy’s character throughout the film.
A boxing ring and dance studio is where Billy spends a lot of his time in the film.
I could possibly take my own photos of items similar to these images and use them in my assignment.
The bright, eye catching floral shirts worn in the film are a distinctive representation of Romeo and the other Montague characters.
Guns are showcased in the film a lot. Guns can symbolise anger and hatred which is one main concept in the film.
Love heart shapes are a classic way to depict love. I think that an image of a human heart could be a powerful way of depicting a raw and tragic love.
A bottle of poison can easily symbolise the tragedy and death in the film.
The film is well known for its fish tank scene where Romeo and Juliet meet each other for the first time. I could try incorporating this into my image.
Stars, the term ‘star crossed often lovers’ is used to describe what the film is about and to describe Romeo and Juliet.